Current RSS News

Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Connections to Play

 
“Play is the highest form of research.”
~ Albert Einstein (scientist)
 
The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst lovely things.”
~ Plato (Greek philosopher)
 
“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning…They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.”                  ~ Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood)
 
 
“Play is the highest expression of human development in childhood, for it alone is the free expression of what is in a child’s soul.”
                    Friedrich Froebel (founder of the concept of kindergarten)
 
 
                
  
 
 
 
 
       I never realized it until I was older, but many of the toys my mother bought for me were INDEED toys that would prepare me for adulthood. She was very big on play household items, such as vaccums, irons, kitchen sets, baby dollas and the strollers, carriers, bottles, easy bake oven, a toy register to help me learn the concept of money. One toy that I remember to be one of my favorites was a washing machine. You could REALLY put water and soap in a dispensor and watch your clothes spin, to say the least; al lof my baby dolls and barbie dolls had dish-washing and bubble bath fresh clothing! I also became really comfortable with technology, I LOVED nanos and tamagotchi pets, I collected them. I loved them so much because my mom would not let me have a dog, so I had as many computerized pets as I wanted. I couldnt find the perfect picture, but I also had an awesome compyter pad where I culd play games, learn to spell, learn math, and much more. It was my FAVORITE toy because I could take it anywhere with me, and no one ever beat me in the brain twisting games. Lastly, what girl didnt love Barbies. I took interest in collecting the dolls, the ken dolls, the kelly dolls, the pets, the clothes, the cars, EVERYTHING, I even had barbie lingerie, from a barbie line called fifth avenue. I was often alone or around a bunch of adults, so my family would always load me up with lots of toys to keep me busy and keep my mind going.
 
      Play today is totally different, and I see that as I watch my 6 yr old sister grow. She is so into technology, she doesnt have much of an interest in barbies. She loves riding her bike and being outside, but long hours of play just doesnt seem to be as popular with her and her friends, theyd rather listen to their radios, go on the computer,play make-up or play cell phone games (I believe society does push children to be more mature than they are). Because the technology is advancing everyday, her interest advances everyday, so many toys get thrown away because after a month she is no longer interested.
 
     
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. It is very interesting how toys we played with as young children shapes who we grow up to be. I use to have a ton of baby dolls and I would be there teacher. I would change their diaper, feed them, do their hair. You name it I did it. What is funny about that is that I now own and operate my own preschool and do these different acts on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Martissa, I had many toys and barbies and I always pretended to be their mother...a very strict one too. Perhaps preparing me for my next phase of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post. I agree with Brooke, It is interesting how the toys we played with when we were young shaped us. Alot of the toys played with were good toys and I still have some of them, that I kept. Like the kid sister doll and some blocks and the books. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you with the technology. Now children rely on video games and hand held devices to provide them with play. They have lost that sense of creative play where they pretend to be different things with other children and really use their heads to come up with games. I wonder how this generational disconnect can be rectified or is it just how the world of play is changing.

    ReplyDelete