Current RSS News

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Establishing Professional Contacts and Expanding Resources

        A college friend of mine was blessed to get a job in China teaching English to young children. I have kept in touch with him, excited to hear about the culture, the difficulties teaching and all the other entertaining stories he tells so well. I have never considered contacting other educational professionals outside of the United States. However,  I do enjoy meeting new people and learning about other cultures, so expanding my professional contacts brings great opportunity.
I have contacted UNICEF in Jamaica and through NAEYC through the Global Alliance program I have chosen to contact Ghana, Africa. I am currently waiting for replies.


        One resource that I find to be very informative in terms of education, other than NAEYC is the NEA (National Education Association). http://www.nea.org/home/18163.htm. You can find lots of information on Early Childhood Education. Issues and trends, Tools and ideas you can use within your own educational experiences, and if you are like me, and share information with parents and families of children, then you can also gain knowledge on new and upcoming grants and events.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Martissa! It must be amazing for your friend to be teaching in China. How exciting!!I am too interested in learning more about Africa. I've always watched programs about Africa and someday would like to visit the country. In the meanwhile I am also waiting for a reply to learn more about the children and their education systems in Africa. I wonder if they struggle with some of the same issues that our country struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information Martissa. Thank you for sharing. That is great your friend is teaching in China. Maybe you could travel there to visit. I wish I had an opportunity like that. I will check out the website NEA. Another site you can add is American Montessori Society @ https://www.amshq.org/. I am a big fan of Dr. Maria Montessori and the professional journals on this website are the best. Great choices for Africa as well. I can't wait to see what you report on your findings!!!

    ReplyDelete